Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thank you

Many people have heard me speak on my beliefs on teaching. When I entered this field, I admit that I was extremely proud of the fact that I was joining what I consider 'the most noble of professions'. Over the years, my pride in our shared vocation has not wavered, but has become more nuanced. Twenty years ago, I saw three distinct groups- teachers, students, and parents (administration remained a mystery for almost a decade). Over the years, however, I have changed whom I consider as a 'teacher'. I now include coaches and advisors, who give their time to promote and support an activity of shared interest. I also include support staff, who are critical to the operations of a school, including counselors, secretaries, nurses, paraprofessionals, cafeteria, custodians and maintenance workers. While their interactions with students are not as scheduled as classroom teachers, every day they are provided with an opportunity to teach students through their actions and accomplishments, Parents, who are our students' first teachers, are constantly charged with the frightening and thrilling task of sustaining their child through the myriad of challenges and joys that life provides. Lately (and finally), I include students. Learning from peers is incredibly powerful, and while I would like to think that all of what they learn is making them a better person, sometimes they learn from their friend's or acquaintance's failures.

To all of you who have the incredible joy of being a teacher, the most noble of vocations, on this weekend set aside for such purpose, I give thanks.

Sincerely

Dr. Douglas Dias
Very Proud Principal of Medway High School

No comments:

Post a Comment