I am also told that the players do not wear helmets, shoulder or shin pads, or other protective gear, and with the exception of a few administrators and staff manning the gate, adults or staff do not supervise the students
You can probably see where I am going with this...
It has been reported that there are relatively few injuries, and the game can quickly shift from 'touch-football' to 'shove-football' and, at times, 'tackle'. Without helmets or pads. Should I presume that all players are wearing mouth-guards?
I have a saying that I apply to situations when I am trying to determine if I should intervene in events where there has been few issues: "It's not a problem. Until it is." Admittedly, I have not heard tales of broken bones, chipped teeth, or blackened eyes. Unfortunately, I have see all of this occur at such games, and owe it to our kids, and the town (in the form of liability), to take necessary steps to help ensure that students are safe.
No- I am not cancelling the game. However, I cannot allow students to tackle each other at a school event unless there is proper protections. No- I am not providing helmets to students, either. Football can be played safely if modified in such a way to keep .
I am, however, changing some of the expectations:
- Flag football, not touch football. It is easier to officiate and safer to play.
- Adults assisting the boys in officiating.
There may be some students and parents who are upset about these changes, and if any parents would like to take on the the responsibility for the game, please contact me immediately.
I do feel badly that these changes are last-minute, but they are necessary. Safety is always my first priority, and also strongly recommend that all players obtain and wear mouth guards.
Game is at 7:00 pm. Tickets on sale at the gate.
No comments:
Post a Comment