Dear MHS Parents, Students, and
Staff,
One of the most enjoyable things about joining a new school is learning about the community and their values. Every day, for the past year, I have found new things, far more important than test scores, which amply demonstrate the quality of our students and school community. I have witnessed many ‘snapshots’ that are very much aligned with our community core values of Respect, Tolerance, Responsibility, Integrity and Perseverance.
Sometimes, however, I hear of past incidents that appear, initially, to contradict these values. For example, I have heard that Senior Costume Day and Parade, a tradition for many years, is, at best, distracting, and at worst, disrespectful and intolerant. As I understand it, the tradition goes as such: Senior students arrive at school in costume, have breakfast in the cafeteria, and then parade through the school. During the parade, students often throw candy as they wind their way through the school. Once the parade is complete, students change out of their costumes in the gym locker rooms, and the school day continues as normal.
One of the most enjoyable things about joining a new school is learning about the community and their values. Every day, for the past year, I have found new things, far more important than test scores, which amply demonstrate the quality of our students and school community. I have witnessed many ‘snapshots’ that are very much aligned with our community core values of Respect, Tolerance, Responsibility, Integrity and Perseverance.
Sometimes, however, I hear of past incidents that appear, initially, to contradict these values. For example, I have heard that Senior Costume Day and Parade, a tradition for many years, is, at best, distracting, and at worst, disrespectful and intolerant. As I understand it, the tradition goes as such: Senior students arrive at school in costume, have breakfast in the cafeteria, and then parade through the school. During the parade, students often throw candy as they wind their way through the school. Once the parade is complete, students change out of their costumes in the gym locker rooms, and the school day continues as normal.
Now, on the surface, this sounds relatively innocuous, except that I have been told by staff and kids that past years have had issues, including wildly inappropriate attire, students throwing candy or spraying ‘silly-string’ at each other, using air horns, and making excessive noise and leaving a mess in the halls. At the conclusion of the parade, with the consent of their parents, many senior students would be dismissed from school.
I am not saying that these stories are inaccurate, but they appear to contradict what I have learned so far about our school and students. Several people have suggested setting explicit rules, such as ‘no costumes that promote sex’, ‘no body stockings’ or ‘no masks’ I have even heard some suggestions about banning the event entirely. As a parent, I understand these views, but as a principal and teacher I believe that traditions can help foster school community. Rather than be excessively prescriptive, and having faith in our students, and have turned to them to help shape their event. And they have responded. School administrators met with senior class officers, and explained our concerns. They listened respectfully, and understood that the school was not banning their event, but giving them an opportunity to craft it in a way that demonstrates the quality of their class and school. In homerooms this week, senior class officers are reminding their classmates that their class.
Traditions are an opportunity for students to bond with the school and each other. They help create a sense of community. While there may have been inappropriate portions of the day in the past, I have faith that our students, when treated with respect, and given responsibility, will rise to the occasion.
However, I do want to use this as an opportunity to offer thoughts that parents can discuss with their children:
Sexualized Costumes
I am also a
principal, and act in loco parentis,
or as a parent for all students, a role I take very seriously. I neither condone nor support
costumes that are demeaning to others or themselves. Too often society
represents women as sexualized objects to be observed instead of the future
leaders, contributors, and partners in our community. In other schools I have
witnessed young women using an event such as this to use their bodies to gain
attention and reinforce negative stereotypes. As the parent of 806 students,
half of which are young women, they deserve, and should demand better.
Demeaning Costumes
I was once at a
school where a student arrived in ‘black-face’, and did not understand or know
the history behind white portrayals of blacks, and the negative stereotypes
perpetuated by their actions. The student was sent home to wash off, and as a
consequence, wrote a 3-page paper on the topic. The conclusion was his
realization that such behavior was wrong.
Similarly, some
boys have dressed as women, but represent them in short skirts, stockings, and exaggeratedly
large breasts. Is the purpose to emulate women or reinforce what society views
as their value to society? If a young man wishes to dress as a woman, why not
as Hellen Keller, Amelia Earhart or Mary, Queen of the Scots?
Dangerous Props
On this, I have to
be more clear. We cannot allow props that could be perceived as a weapon or is
dangerous. Toy guns, knives, and swords cannot be allowed in school. Also,
‘Silly String’ is extremely flammable, and is not allowed.
Dismissals
Parents, please do
not dismiss students after the parade. We want them to remain so that they do
not miss the day’s lesson and can contribute in class.
Allergies
Do not bring any candies or sweets that contain peanuts. There are more and more students with life-threatening peanut allergies, and we must ban them from this event.
Do not bring any candies or sweets that contain peanuts. There are more and more students with life-threatening peanut allergies, and we must ban them from this event.
Bravo! Now see? This is exactly the point that I was trying make in my email, but had my 5 minute timer cut me short!
ReplyDelete