Monday, June 24, 2013

Summer Reading

Over the past two years, MHS has implemented what I consider a rather novel (pun intended) summer reading program that allows students and teachers to share a piece of literature. This past year, however, almost 150 students did not participate and went to the cafeteria. I have been told that administration coordinated the summer. I found this curious, as many believe that Mr. Jasinski ran it, which is not true. He generously volunteered to create an online database to track student and teacher books, and did an exemplary job, but it takes a lot of time to plan and implement.

After discussing summer reading with some parents, teachers, and the School Council, and acknowledging the lower student involvement in conjunction and summer break for teachers, students, and parents being the shortest in ten years, we have decided to not implement the summer whole-school reading program. We will reevaluate the program this coming Fall/Winter.

Please be aware that some classes do have summer reading expectations. To check the list, please click HERE

Also, we are updating our formal site to align with the info, above. The formal site can be found HERE.

I however, will be reading these books:
A Feast for Crows by George R. R. Martin, and then
A Dance with Dragons by George R. R. Martin
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

Books I read last summer included:
In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick
Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell
Bossypants by Tina Fey
S**t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern (I also gave a copy to my father for his birthday)
Hamlet by William Shakespeare (seriously- it's awesome!)

I will add more once I've decided...

No comments:

Post a Comment