Monday, April 8, 2013

Senior Skip Days- Part Deux

At the start of the school year, I posted my thoughts on 'skip days'. At that time, the students responded very well, and there were very few students absent on the date identified. With a few editorial changes, I am again posting our view on skip days:

I have heard a rumor that there is a senior ‘skip’ day scheduled and I want to clarify any inaccuracies about how the school responds to such incidents using our community Core Value lens of  Responsibility.
First, as principal, I have a responsibility to ensure that students are provided with an education, and as such, want to make explicitly clear that Medway High School neither sponsors or sanctions students skipping school. We want our students to be safe, and while some may not participate in dangerous behavior, too many decide it is okay to take such opportunities to make bad decisions.
Second, students missing class creates a burden for teachers, who plan their lessons with the expectation that every student is present. Student absences result in missed learning, including tests and quizzes. Tests and quizzes missed due to unapproved absences result in a grade of zero, which can have a devastating effect on a term grade.
Parents, please allow your son or daughter to take responsibility for their actions. Do not lie, and call the school or send in a note claiming that they are sick or have a doctor’s appointment requiring them to miss all or part of the day when this is not true. You are their first, and greatest, teacher, and such actions can lead students to believe that it is okay to intentionally mislead. We are not questioning your moral authority to teach your children, but ask you to work with us in teaching students that decisions have consequences, and, as such, allow them to take responsibility for their actions.
I continue to be impressed with the quality of our students, and have been truly impressed with the maturity and responsibility each has demonstrated as well as the parent support for their children and school. With this, I want to be explicitly clear to everyone, as you deserve nothing less, and share that your decision to skip school may result in loss of grades and extra-curricular privileges. Simply stated, we want you here!

Seniors who decide to skip school will not be allowed to participate in athletics, both practices and games. Coaches may also implement additional consequences. A lot of events are scheduled for students over the next several months, and I want every student eligible to participate in each one. Voluntarily not attending school can result in a loss of involvement in these events- something that you have all worked too hard to miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment