Thursday, October 4, 2012

'Skip' Day



I have heard a rumor that there is a senior ‘skip’ day scheduled and I want to clarify any inaccuracies about how the school responds to such incidents using the lens of our community core value of Responsibility.
First, as principal, I have a responsibility to ensure that students are provided with an education, and as such, want to make explicitly clear that Medway High School neither sponsors or sanctions students skipping school. We want our students to be safe, and while some may not participate in dangerous behavior, too many decide it is okay to engage in risky behavior.
Students missing class creates a burden for teachers, who plan their lessons with the expectation that every student is present. Student absences result in missed learning, including tests and quizzes. Tests and quizzes missed due to unapproved absences result in a grade of zero, which can have a devastating effect on a term grade.
Parents, please allow your son or daughter to take responsibility for their actions. Do not call the school, claiming that they are sick or have a doctor’s appointment requiring them to miss all or part of the day when this is not true. You are their first, and greatest, teacher, and such actions can lead students to believe that it is okay to intentionally mislead. We are not questioning your moral authority to teach your children, but ask you to work with us in teaching students that decisions have consequences, and, as adults, we should allow them to take responsibility for their actions.
            I have met many students in my first month at MHS, and have been truly impressed with the maturity and responsibility each has demonstrated. I want to be explicitly clear to you, as you deserve nothing less, and share that your decision to skip school may result in loss of grades and extra-curricular privileges. Simply stated, we want you here! Seniors who decide to skip school today will not be allowed to participate in athletics or the senior boat cruise this weekend. Future skip days will result in other sanctions as well.
I always welcome suggestions on how to make our school a better place, and would like to give greater, more meaningful responsibility to students capable of such burden. Please let me know your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment